43 dead after hockey team plane crash

533286.jpg

43 dead after hockey team plane crash

From Comcast SportsNet Wednesday, September 7, 2011
TUNOSHNA, Russia (AP)A Russian jet carrying a top ice hockey team crashedwhile taking off Wednesday in western Russia, killing at least 43 people andleaving two critically injured, officials said.The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the Yak-42 plane crashedimmediately after leaving an airport near the city of Yaroslavl, on the VolgaRiver about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northeast of Moscow. It was carrying 45people, including 37 passengers and eight crew, and the ministry said all buttwo people were killed in the crash. The weather was sunny and clear at the time.Prime Minister Vladimir Putin immediately sent the nations transportminister to the site, 10 miles (15 kilometers) east of Yaroslavl.The ministry said the plane was carrying the Lokomotiv ice hockey team fromYaroslavl to Minsk, the capital of Belarus, where it was to play Thursdayagainst Dinamo Minsk in the opening game of the season in the Kontinental HockeyLeague.The KHL is an international club league that pits together teams fromRussia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Latvia and Slovakia.Lokomotiv Yaroslavl is a leading force in Russian hockey and came third inthe KHL last year. Its coached by Canadian Brad McCrimmon and includes severalinternational stars in its ranks, such as Stefan Liv of Sweden and CzechRepublic players Josef Vaicek and Jan Marek. Lokomotiv was a three-time RussianLeague champion in 1997, 2002 and 2003 and took the bronze last season.It wasnt immediately clear which players were on board the Yak-42 onWednesday.We will do our best to ensure that hockey in Yaroslavl does not die, andthat it continues to live for the people that were on that plane, said RussianIce Hockey Federation President Vladislav Tretyak.The short- and medium-range Yak-42 has been in service since 1980 and dozensare still in service with Russian and other airlines.President Dmitry Medvedev has announced plans to take aging Soviet-builtplanes out of service starting next year.In June, another Russian passenger jet crashed in the northwestern city ofPetrozavodsk, killing 47 people. The crash of that Tu-134 plane has been blamedon pilot error.

Thomas won’t play Friday night vs. Raptors

Thomas won’t play Friday night vs. Raptors

WALTHAM, Mass. – The Celtics are about to hit one of the toughest stretches of the season and they’ll have to do it for at least one more game without their leading scorer, Isaiah Thomas. 
 
Thomas, who suffered a right groin injury on Monday against the Houston Rockets, did not play on Wednesday against Orlando and said that he will not play in Friday night’s game against the Toronto Raptors. 
 
“It’s day to day. I want to play. I want to be out there but it’s the smart decision to hold out and wait until it’s 100 percent,” Thomas said during a Season of Giving event for children of the Military Friends Foundation held at the Celtics’ practice facility. “If it was a playoff game I would be out there for sure.”
 
However, after consulting with a number of medical personnel, Thomas decided the best thing for him and the Celtics was to sit out Friday’s game which, along with Wednesday in Orlando, will be the first two he has missed since the 2014-2015 season. 
 
Thomas said there’s no specific timetable for his return, but he said he is planning to travel with the team to Oklahoma City for their matchup against the Thunder on Sunday. 
 
“It’s eating me a live to sit, but I have to do what’s best for my body, I have to do what’s best for this team,” Thomas said. “I need to be 100 percent healthy to give this team what I can give them.”
 
The Celtics are hoping for similar success they had Wednesday in Orlando (a 117-87 victory) on Friday against Toronto.
 
“They played a hell of a game last night,” Thomas said. “They’ll be ready tomorrow.”
 
The fact that Thomas intends to travel with the team is a good sign that the groin injury isn’t too serious. 
 
If he doesn’t play at Oklahoma City, that likely means he’ll return to action on Wednesday at San Antonio. 
 
“I’m going to do what I can to get back out there on the court,” Thomas said. “I gotta be smart about this. I don’t want this to linger on this season.”
 
Replacing Smart in the lineup against Toronto will most likely be Marcus Smart. 
 
Smart, who has been a replacement starter at small forward and point guard this season, had 13 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals against the Magic. 
 

Mitch Moreland fancies himself an ideal fit with Red Sox

Mitch Moreland fancies himself an ideal fit with Red Sox

Mitch Moreland put up mediocre numbers and won a Gold Glove in a walk year. For his efforts, he received a one-year, $5.5 million contract on the open market. 

That’s not a lot. Maybe his .233 average stood out to teams more than his 22 homers, but either way it’s somewhat surprising that a one-year deal on low money is the best he could do given the fact that his career average was .258 prior to last year and he’d hit .275 or higher in two of his previous four seasons. 

The contract might not be a major score for Moreland, but he said choosing Boston was. 

“I had a couple options, but really just the whole fact that it’s place that I really wanted to play,” he said of Boston. “Getting an opportunity to come here and be a part of a winning environment, being part of a winning environment and having a chance to go out and play for a championship is huge to me, personally, and this is a great option. 

“What they were able to do last year, you know you were in for a fight when you were playing these guys. It was a gritty group of guys that had a ton of talent. I like to think of myself as that type player, as a gritty type player and hopefully I felt like I could fit in here and move forward and try to help out and make that goal happen of winning a championship. 

“That’s the main goal as far as playing this game for me. I feel like we’ve got a great opportunity here, and that was before the [Chris] Sale news broke, too, you know? So seeing that also, it just shows you that we’re in it. We’re in it and trying to go all out to make that happen. I’m happy to be a part of it.” 

It doesn’t hurt that his batting average is higher at Fenway Park than it is in any other stadium in which he’s had at least 30 at-bats. Moreland has hit .341/.378/.683 with four homers and eight RBI in 41 career at-bats at Fenway. Asked to explain his success in Boston, he noted that “comfortable” was the only word that came to mind. 

So what is the Red Sox’ plan for the former Rangers first baseman? To play him at first against righties and let Hanley Ramirez DH, John Farrell said. 

Farrell did also point to Moreland’s recent work against lefties. Last season was one of two in his career (the other being 2013) in which Moreland had a better average against lefties than against righties. Moreland hit .277/.320/.479 against southpaws last season, with .221/.293/.407 marks against righties.

“Against right-handed starters, Mitch will be the first baseman,” Farrell said. “That gives us the flexibility to DH Hanley in that spot. One thing I also mentioned to Mitch is we’re certainly open to his at-bats growing in number against left-handers, last year was his best year against left-handers in his big league career.

"With Mitch, getting everyday at-bats against right-handed starters at first base and Hanley moving to the DH slot, that alignment, we also have the ability against quality left-handers, where Hanley would go back to first base and then we’ve got the ability to rotate some guys through the DH slot. 

Added Farrell: “His strengths as a player are many, but we feel this is a very good fit in a number of ways, and positionally first and foremost.”