LOS ANGELES, CA Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins and Los Angeles Kings locked into a scoreless game after the first 20 minutes of play at the Staples Center.
1) The Bruins have 11 shots on goal at the end of the first period and the Bs forwards have accounted for only four of them. Once again the forwards didnt have enough involvement for the Bruins and that needs to change.
2) The Kings are pounding the Bruins all over the ice. Heavy shots to the body and the Kings are finishing every single hit on the Bruins. It was good of Chris Kelly to defend himself in one instance and go after Trevor Lewis when he didnt like a borderline hit from behind, but theres not enough of that going on. Not enough of a physical presence.
3) Twice the Staples Center game officials had to stop when the clock either froze or they lost track of how much time was on the clock. Considering whats happened at this place its becoming something of a joke.
4) Tim Thomas once again playing very well with 15 saves in the first period along with Mike Richards smacking a wrister from the slot off the right post.
5) Twice Kyle Clifford has backed away from potential fights with Shawn Thornton. Interesting to see how that will play out over the next 40 minutes.